FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

USPS key

<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:26 pm

USPS key

Hello everyone so I rencently obtain a Y1 with 2642 key cuts it's an elevator key used by the FDNY. So in the hopes of expanding my collection I would like to know what type of key does the usps uses for mail the master lock in mail boxes. Yes I know that I can easily obtain through eBay but I like the journey of going to hardware stores in acquiring it. Besides it gives me a reason to go to the hardware store.

So, what type of key does the usps use?
<<

PhoneMan

I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?
I've gone and said something stupid, haven't I?

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:27 pm

Re: USPS key

You won't find a "blank" for that, as it's unique to USPS, and made in house by them. Could be illegal to own a real one too.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:56 pm

I'd be really hesitant to ask about getting a key for the master lock on a mailbox array. Good way of having a postal inspector (law enforcement) knocking on your door.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

MrWizard

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:15 pm

I am actually surprised this post was not deleted. :shock:
"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
Kurt Vonnegut
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:31 pm

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1704

I don't speak legalese, but possession of USPS locks and keys do not, in themselves, seem to be illegal. Just like picks it's all in how you use them.

"...or possesses any such mail lock or key with the intent unlawfully or improperly to use, sell, or otherwise dispose of the same..."
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:48 pm

As I understand it, the Arrow USPS lock is the only lock/key it is illegal to possess. But still would not want to give postal authorities any reason to make life difficult. It would be difficult to acceptably explain why you want blanks to the master lock to the mailbox array. Have heard they are not the most lenient law officers.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

flywheel

Post Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:As I understand it, the Arrow USPS lock is the only lock/key it is illegal to possess.

I think this is misinformation without a source. The US Code for the Postal Service certainly doesn't mention it.
<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:50 pm

I thank you all for your response. I do not have illegal intent for such key and owning one is not illegal, now if you use it without being a post man than yes you would be commiting a crime.
<<

escher7

Post Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Revinous wrote:I thank you all for your response. I do not have illegal intent for such key and owning one is not illegal, now if you use it without being a post man than yes you would be commiting a crime.

As a collector, you may want to consider an uncut key, thereby removing any presumption of illegal intent.
<<

Revinous

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:39 am

escher7 wrote:
Revinous wrote:I thank you all for your response. I do not have illegal intent for such key and owning one is not illegal, now if you use it without being a post man than yes you would be commiting a crime.

As a collector, you may want to consider an uncut key, thereby removing any presumption of illegal intent.

I would much rather prefer a blank since im sure they probably a lot more rare than a cut one.
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:20 pm

PhoneMan wrote:You won't find a "blank" for that, as it's unique to USPS, and made in house by them. Could be illegal to own a real one too.

If you mean the P.O. Box key, it is a Y-2R as it is the reverse of the Y-2 key and also a 6-pin key
I got a box of them by accident years ago from my supplier. My Dad immediately hid them, but there are
many applications for a reverse Yale key internationally. It is the only key that is a federal felony to cut, far as I know
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:43 pm

Jones, he was referring to the USPS Arrow key used for unlocking the blue mailboxes etc.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

jones

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 pm

jeffmoss26 wrote:Jones, he was referring to the USPS Arrow key used for unlocking the blue mailboxes etc.

Only one I ever seen was attached to the mailman's belt

Return to Kool Keys