FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Homebrew key holder for impressioning???

<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:19 am

Homebrew key holder for impressioning???

I'm using vice grips now.

Anyone have one they made themselves? I know Jos Weyers has one but I have no idea how it's built.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Anarchy_won

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:54 am

Re: Homebrew key holder for impressioning???

here is what I made and it works well so far.

(17:44:28) HAL 9000 Sez: LockSport is full of children who throw fits because low priced low security products sold in discount department stores do not meet their arbitrary expectations.
<<

Hugo Martel

Familiar Face

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:41 pm

take a big screw driver, cut it 1 inch long, cut a slut in it, drill and tapp two hole, add adams rite Tugstene carbide set screws and your done!!!

Hugo Martel :circlip:
Random wrote: Here is my tip of the day "Do not fart while wearing overalls".
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:41 pm

Harbor Freight sells a windshield replacement kit. Part of the kit is an aluminum handle with a long wire used to cut the urethane sealant gluing the windshield in place.

Take the wire off the aluminum handle and with just a tiny bit of modification, the handle makes a good key holder.
I think the kit only cost me about $8 but that's been 3 or 4 years I think, so might be a bit higher now.
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:52 am

MBI wrote:I think the kit only cost me about $8 but that's been 3 or 4 years I think, so might be a bit higher now.

Ooooh man inflation got it up to $16 now haha. Papa Gleb made me a nice one but if it ever wears out I'm definitely going to get one of those! Thanks for asking Farmall and thanks for the tip MBI:D
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:51 am

Thanks for the tip MBI. I have a harbor freight gift card I need to use.
macgng; it's completely unnecessary to have ~15$ in keys for a 50¢ lock ... but we all do it anyway :P
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer
OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Just as MBI mention.

Oldfast wrote:
On a side-note: If anyone's interested in upgrading from their vice grips... this has served me well for over a year now.
This is an auto tool used for removing the seal around car windshields. Stripped of its' addtional parts, the handle works
beautifully for a key holder. This idea is not original to me. I first seen it in a vid from Daz (of DBC locksmiths). Check the
local auto places in your area (Napa, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, etc.). Daz paid around $12 for his. I think I paid about $19

ImageImage

Still using the same one. Only change I've made was to replace the phillips with hex head screws.
The screw heads eventually started to strip out. Using an allen wrench works much better now.

Thing I like is that it leaves no marks since the screw goes through the hole in the bow.
Downside is that I've come across a few keys it would not accept... either due to the
size of the hole or because of the width of the blank. But it works fine with most.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew there had to be something cheaper than $75.00
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Here is one I made from a broken car part...

Does not get much cheaper than free. :)

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:35 am

I made one out of a broken screw drivers but I since moved up. I wanted to make one like Gordon showed but the wind shield part was priced at $25 so I added $10 and got a Pro-Lok grip which is awesome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

MBI

Site Owner

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:45 pm

LockButcher wrote:
MBI wrote:I think the kit only cost me about $8 but that's been 3 or 4 years I think, so might be a bit higher now.

Ooooh man inflation got it up to $16 now haha.

Sorry if I misled anyone on the price. The more I think about it, it must have been closer to 5, 6... maybe even 7 years ago when I bought it. Which probably explains the inflation a bit better. Aluminum prices were a lot lower then. Gas too.
<<

farmall

Familiar Face

Post Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:04 pm

MBI wrote:
LockButcher wrote:

Ooooh man inflation got it up to $16 now haha.

Sorry if I misled anyone on the price. The more I think about it, it must have been closer to 5, 6... maybe even 7 years ago when I bought it. Which probably explains the inflation a bit better. Aluminum prices were a lot lower then. Gas too.

Found one on ebay for $9.59

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning