FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Oldfast Impressions

<<

fgarci03

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:49 am

Re: Oldfast Impressions

Oldfast wrote:
fgarci03 wrote:Why purple?
Well, so you can be like me!!!... Why else!? :rofl:

Hahaha! :mrgreen:

I'll do that!
Go ahead, keep plugging away, picking on me! You will end up on bypass or with rigor mortise.
- GWiens2001
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 am

Oldfast wrote:I do have plans to delve into impressioning Bests... although it may have to wait til winter.
I've been acquiring some Best cores and padlocks with Best and Arrow cores as of late.
I'm also keeping an eye out for blanks... which are a little pricier than I'm use to.

Which keyways are you looking for blanks? Have a number of them in my box-o-blanks (bet you have one of those, too!]. I also can get the blanks pretty reasonably.

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 am

Likewise, I have some of the more common keyways in "inventory" and can get just about anything you might need :)
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

OldddffAASSTT the Spin Master Extraordinaire and American Lock Slayer

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:36 am

I'll get a list together on what I'm in need of and get with ya's sometime.
You might be able to help with at least a couple. Much appreciated guys.

For the most part, I'm lookin' for the more common keyways. I also have a
handful of American padlocks with Best & Arrow cores. I'll have to take a
look as to which keyways they use. Thanks again guys.
" Enjoy the journey AS MUCH as the destination."
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:45 pm

It's the least I can do to help you out!
The padlocks are perfect, just as expected!
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

Oldfast

Post Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 pm

HURD is just one of those brands I've really grown to love. Kinda like Wilson Bohannan I guess.
At the moment, I really know very little about HURD, and my collection includes only a handful.

I'm always keeping an eye out for some cheap ones on ebay... but alot of them seem to
be priced at around $10 and up (key or no key). So it's one of my 'slower' growing collections.
They're just good ol' wholesome, high quality locks. And some can prove rather challenging to pick.

Image Image

This was my first attempt at impressioning one of these, and it certainly presented a learning curve.

My first two attempts were unsuccessful. I had missed pin 4 completely.... twice! lol. Due to the lengthy
battle I also encountered another problem that I rarely have- the key started bending. This in turn allowed
the shoulder of the key to make contact with the edge of the recessed keyway- creating two more problems:
1) fainter impressioning marks. And, 2) the possibility of mangling up the nice appearance of the keyway.

The MACS (maximum adjacent cut specifications) this company uses are really quite drastic.
This lock for example, has a very shallow cut (pin 4) nestled between two very deep cuts (pins 3 & 5).
Not being accustom to these extremes caused me some troubles. Rather than keeping my cuts tight and
gently sloped, I allowed them to get wide and steep. As cuts 3 and 5 became deeper, the marking surface
for pin 4 became too small. In addition, the steep angles began making key insertion more and more difficult.

Changes to my next attempt included taking a small portion off of the shoulder.
I also focused on utilizing more of the tip (smaller diameter) of my file this time.

(right key) My third attempt finally brings me success. A working key, impressioned using a round file.

(left key) Using my first key for depths, I now hand cut another key using a pippin and a small flat file.

The goal here is to cut a key that looks just as it would from the factory.
Yes, I already have a working key. And yes, I could leave it at that.
BUT, being the obsessive fuck I am.... I simply have no choice!

IF ANYONE HAS THE DEPTH & SPACING SPECS FOR HURD.... I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU! THANKS
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 am

I am still amazed at how clean those hand-filed keys look. Top notch work!
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 am

BEAUTIFUL!! That bitting is SO much cooler than the Hurd padlock I got not too long ago.
You better start resting up, I have a whole box of padlocks for you to work on :D
<<

rai

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 am

If no one has previously mentioned it, hurd was the common ford auto lock for many years and the double sided ford key is simply the hurd un warded keyway double sided version
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

I knew Hurd was the manufacturer, hence the H designation on the Ilco/EZ blanks. I never realized that the double sided blanks are that same pattern, I guess I never looked that closely.
<<

Oldfast

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 am

xeo wrote:I am still amazed at how clean those hand-filed keys look. Top notch work!
It can be (is for me anyway) a VERY tedious & time-consuming process to get a key looking like that.
To get perfectly straight and level angles and flats, all converging at a very specific depth... ahhh! lol

BESTs are still on my list of to-does Xeo! It should be interesting really. I'm sure I'll be able to
impression a working key. But the question is... how easily will I be able to create BOTH an
operating and control key?! Maybe your experience picking them will help me with that.

btw... I'm currently cleaning up a lock that I'll be sending to you. Nothing spactacular. But I think you'll like it.

jeffmoss26 wrote:BEAUTIFUL!! That bitting is SO much cooler than the Hurd padlock I got not too long ago.
You better start resting up, I have a whole box of padlocks for you to work on :D
Indeed! We're quickly approaching 'open season' for impressioning my friend :D
It's still a fight for time yet. Hell, it was about a week from the time I impressioned
this one, till the time I was able to get around to cutting the second key. Within 3 or 4
weeks though, I should have plenty of time. Lookin' forward to some of your locks Jeff.

rai wrote:If no one has previously mentioned it, hurd was the common ford auto lock for many years
and the double sided ford key is simply the hurd un warded keyway double sided version
I know that HURD has also had some contracts with the military/government over the years too.
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Oldfast wrote:
jeffmoss26 wrote:BEAUTIFUL!! That bitting is SO much cooler than the Hurd padlock I got not too long ago.
Indeed! We're quickly approaching 'open season' for impressioning my friend :D
It's still a fight for time yet. Hell, it was about a week from the time I impressioned
this one, till the time I was able to get around to cutting the second key. Within 3 or 4
weeks though, I should have plenty of time. Lookin' forward to some of your locks Jeff.

That just gives me more time to accumulate locks :D
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:54 pm

Oldfast wrote:btw... I'm currently cleaning up a lock that I'll be sending to you. Nothing spactacular. But I think you'll like it.

Looks like I'll have to dust off the old camera... :pimpmofo:
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

Oldfast

Post Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:24 am

xeo wrote:
Oldfast wrote:btw... I'm currently cleaning up a lock that I'll be sending to you. Nothing spactacular. But I think you'll like it.

Looks like I'll have to dust off the old camera... :pimpmofo:

Here she is :D
<<

Oldfast

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:23 pm

You might remember my friend Dave from the pawn shop (retired sheriff & lock collector).
He's been having some rough times lately. So I've been working with some of his locks...
making keys & retrieving combos in hopes they'll fetch him a better price on ebay.

Here's one of them. An interesting little 4-pin Yale.
The body itself measures only 1.5" wide and 1.25" tall.

Image Image

One of the 'cool-factors' of this lock is the shackle. Not only does it pop up,
but it immediately snaps 90 degrees away from the lock body (as shown).

After picking the lock, I was viewing the pins to get a rough idea of the depths
when I noticed pin 2. Unlike the rest of them (pointed/rounded), this one was
flat like a driver pin. Does anyone know why or what purpose this would serve?

At any rate, it was a helpful observation to make prior to impressioning.
We're keeping an eye out for some slightly different marks from pin 2.

When we see two marks, obviously we file in between them.
But if there's only one, we must file to the correct side of
it in order to keep the cut centered underneath the pin.
PreviousNext

Return to Pin Tumbler Impressioning