FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Ruko desk lock made to work with cabinet

<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:37 pm

Ruko desk lock made to work with cabinet

I was really proud I could find a use for another one of my locks other than picking it! Hahaha I got a great deal on this Ruko desk lock off of eBay from Jimu57 and wanted to put it to good use. It became more of a challenge than I thought it would be but it's installed and working great.

The first thing I had to do was make the tail piece work horizontally instead of vertically. Which I thought would be just taking it off and rotating it and done. But it wouldn't not work like that and Ruko seems to have a pretty specialized tail piece. So I came up with the idea of cutting off the eye and rotating the ear where I needed it and welding it back together. As shown here

Screenshot_2015-08-26-16-20-55-1.jpg

With the tail piece off I decided to gut it and it is just as beautiful inside as it is out. Sleaved with Assa spools in all chambers:D

20150827_132644.jpg

I cut a hole in the door and made it to fit the lock but I needed to secure it somehow. It was set up to work with thin sheet metal but I was using it in a 3/4" door so I was planning on using some sort of nut to thread on the back but not only were the the threads very hard to find nuts for, not much of the lock stuck out of the back of the door far enough to get a nut on the back. So then I took a play out of the Adams rite playbook and thought about using a set screw. And that was really easy. Drill a hole in the profile of the door and into the side of the lock a few mm and buy a set screw slightly larger than the hole I drilled and thread it in. As you can see I started out thinking I needed a 1/4" set screw and realized it was too big so I went to a smaller one...

20150907_150103.jpg

Then the last thing I had to do was cut a slot into the profile of the door jam to make a space for the tailpiece to latch. Not the prettiest thing but it works hahaha

20150907_150213.jpg

So now everything works perfectly as a Ruko would and now the cabinet where I keep some of my lock projects and practice locks in is a lot more secure than it needs to be hahahah. But it's really cool for me to have a working Ruko in my house:D

1441658124687-1101624320.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

just1pick+open

Post Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:56 pm

Re: Ruko desk lock made to work with cabinet

Good stuff....love when you can find ways to make new uses of old locks.... :mrgreen:
xeo: i use an electric buzzer exclusively for my ass that gets sanitized afterwards
PhoneMan: would have freaked my friend out if hed come over
MBI: Most anything goes.
PhoneMan: way to give me nightmares
selim: ok then blow your load,, i'll take anything free now a day's
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Ruko desk lock made to work with cabinet

wow great work. Im sure that will keep your kids away for now lol.

Return to Home Brew