FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Need New Picks

<<

zazoola

Post Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:51 pm

Need New Picks

Hello guys, I haven't been on the forums for an age or too but I thought I'd get back on to ask for some advice. I want to get some more picks, I have a Peterson City set that I've had forever and have picked through a myriad of locks, but I've been feeling the itch for some more picks.
I like the Sparrows website and stuff but their picks don't sound like they stack up to Petersons, and I would order some more Petersons but I've been hearing some horrendous things about petersons finishes and quality controls lately. I'm totally down to look at some other companies, but I don't want anything weird. One reason I've been looking at Sparrows is the "bogata" I don't have one and I NEED one. Helpful advice anybody?
So there ye are in the pub,
Completely engulfed in flames,
And yer good wife’s dashing home,
Tae lodge insurance claims.
<<

tpark

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:12 am

Re: Need New Picks

The Sparrows bogota equivalent is good, but I think that the metal Sparrows uses isn't as hard as other brands. A while ago, there were some batches of bad picks from Peterson, but recent tools that I"ve bought have been OK.
<<

Neilau

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:44 pm

The Sparrows Bogota style picks are pretty good and cheap enough.

The life span of a Bogota style pick depends a lot on the way it is used. The less levering that you do the longer it will last.

Ri describes it as a "coffee shakes" movement.

All that being said any Bogota style pick will eventually break because of the design and the way it is used. I have had some home made ones that have lasted for a couple of years of solid use before retiring themselves. :wah:

Back to Sparrows, I purchased a set a couple of years ago and one broke the first time I used it. I emailed Sparrows and they sent me a couple as replacement. So can't complain about that.

Though I have a lot of "professional" picks I tend to almost exclusively use my home made ones, so I can't really say how they will hold up.

If you want to get some Bogota style picks, a set from Sparrows is pretty inexpensive. There are the more expensive - and probably more rugged, Ri endorsed (I believe), Serapick titanium.

Once you work out how to use they they are almost like cheating - magic. :D (on some locks).

On the large Lockwoods we get over here they are like master keys.
Clark's Law (Arthur C)

For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.
<<

mdc5150

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:11 pm

I use my Sparrows Double peak bogota style rake frequently. I got to use them last night doing some surreptitious entries for a police department (Yes that is a little bit of bragging but damn it was fun) on some search warrants. They perform well and I have had mine for over 5 years now. I have been through 2 regular Peterson Gems and several of the slender gems, which is to be expected for how those get used and I have no complaints about either. It all depends on how heavy handed you are and how you plan on using them.
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:21 pm

I would stay away from sparrows personally. I like spending my money on metal better than paperclips.

If I wasn't going to buy Peterson, I would just make my own. Or I would save my money for locks.
<<

Shifty1

Post Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:50 pm

You might have a look at http://www.lockpicktools.com/. I like the ripple handle. Great feedback and comfortable. IMO these are some of the best picks on the market. :shorthook: :prybar: :reach: and Im in. :drool:
<<

zazoola

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:53 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm probably just going to end up getting more petersons, nothing else stands out.
So there ye are in the pub,
Completely engulfed in flames,
And yer good wife’s dashing home,
Tae lodge insurance claims.
<<

Jowens90

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:59 pm

Plus 1 for Peterson . I'd say 98 percent of my picking is done with Peterson tools
<<

WestCoastPicks

Familiar Face

Post Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm

zazoola wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm probably just going to end up getting more petersons, nothing else stands out.

Yup. Peterson is tough to top. If it's not peterson, it's hand made.

Return to Product Reviews