FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Trying to find a sturdy set of thin picks

<<

info5ec

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Trying to find a sturdy set of thin picks

I've been scouring the internet to try and find a high quality set of thinner picks out there. Was looking at sparrow's website, and they look like they have a good set of thin hooks - which is what I'm really aiming for. Anyone have any good suggestions? I'd like some that have some semi decent handles as well.

I have a pen-set that has some awesome small attachments, but it's kind of a hassle to change them out when needed, here's a comparison.

pickcomparison.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

Alaphablue

The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!
The only difference between me and this crazy island is that I'm a madman!

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:01 pm

Re: Trying to find a sturdy set of thin picks

Peterson international. Slenders
<<

jacobbiljo

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:30 pm

If you are talking about thin profile then yes I would go with Sparrows. All of their picks are 0.025" thick.
If you want thin thickness then yes Peterson Slenders are your best bet IMHO
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:03 pm

Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

nsquidc

Familiar Face

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:39 pm

jacobbiljo wrote:If you are talking about thin profile then yes I would go with Sparrows. All of their picks are 0.025" thick.
If you want thin thickness then yes Peterson Slenders are your best bet IMHO

Yep, wondering exactly what you mean by thin. If you want thin thickness, Peterson Slenders are by far the best bet, though some have had good luck with Southord's Slimline as well.

Looking at your photo though, it looks like you're really looking for a thin, euro style profile. Peterson's Slenders are full profile for strength reasons, and their euro profile is still fairly large. Never tried Sparrows, but Rytan minis and Southern Specialties euro profile are quite nice. Both are ~30% smaller in size compared with full profile picks. (I have posted measurements previously.) I especially like S.S.'s carbon steel option with their euro profile.
<<

escher7

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:34 am

I know Petersen gets more attention than Southord, but if you want thin high-end picks Southord's MaxB series have a thickness of .023" and tensile strength of 270,000 psi. At $11.95 they are not cheap but if you only want a couple of hooks, for example, the price is worth it.
http://www.southord.com/Lock-Picking-To ... -inch.html

Cheaper, with the same thickness but tensile strength at 185,000psi, their metal handled Slimlines are also decent at $5.39.
<<

nsquidc

Familiar Face

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:12 am

escher7 wrote:I know Petersen gets more attention than Southord, but if you want thin high-end picks Southord's MaxB series have a thickness of .023" and tensile strength of 270,000 psi. At $11.95 they are not cheap but if you only want a couple of hooks, for example, the price is worth it.

Cheaper, with the same thickness but tensile strength at 185,000psi, their metal handled Slimlines are also decent at $5.39.

Now you have me intrigued. How does the Max line compare to Petersons? Or the MaxB to the Peterson Slims?
<<

info5ec

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:06 am

I was referring to profile when I said "thin" - still picking up the syntax of things in the locksmithing world. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll let you know what I end up choosing and I'll review em once they get here.
<<

info5ec

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:12 pm

Just bought the "Hooker" Set of 4 hooks from Sparrows. Can't wait to get em. Once I get em, I'll do a little bit of a review on em for you guys. Thanks for the help again.
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:29 pm

solid choice, ive always been a fan of the sparrows short hook, they just need a bit of sanding to smooth out the edges but what pick doesn't?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:59 am

nsquidc wrote:
escher7 wrote:I know Petersen gets more attention than Southord, but if you want thin high-end picks Southord's MaxB series have a thickness of .023" and tensile strength of 270,000 psi. At $11.95 they are not cheap but if you only want a couple of hooks, for example, the price is worth it.

Now you have me intrigued. How does the Max line compare to Petersons? Or the MaxB to the Peterson Slims?

I haven't actually used the thin Max B picks yet. I recently ordered some other tools from Southord and they were kind enough to send me a couple of thin Max B Deforests as well as a new style of metal handled pick they just introduced, for evaluation. They will be in soon and I will put them through the torture test and report.
My suggestion at this point was based upon the characteristics and photo on the website (above). I like the look of the ABS handles and the steel is as tough as Petersen's "Government" steel. Hard to tell from the photos, but they may need a slight touch up with fine abrasive and the buffing wheel. Further info shortly.
<<

escher7

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:11 am

info5ec wrote:I was referring to profile when I said "thin" - still picking up the syntax of things in the locksmithing world. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll let you know what I end up choosing and I'll review em once they get here.

Upon looking at your photos I can see now that you meant width rather than thickness. The pen pick is quite a bit narrower at the working end.
Curious - is that pen the same as the ones sold by Chinese and other sites for around $50? I have been tempted to buy one but was unsure of the quality. Yours looks very well made.
<<

info5ec

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

I bought it at a local information security convention I recently went to. I actually really like it, I'm pretty noobish, so I would've expected these picks to be chewed up by now (especially with how thin they are), but they're still in good shape.

But here is a link to the product - found it online.

http://www.devonlocks.co.uk/letsgoshopp ... k-set.html
<<

nsquidc

Familiar Face

Post Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:51 pm

escher7 wrote:I haven't actually used the thin Max B picks yet. I recently ordered some other tools from Southord and they were kind enough to send me a couple of thin Max B Deforests as well as a new style of metal handled pick they just introduced, for evaluation. They will be in soon and I will put them through the torture test and report.
My suggestion at this point was based upon the characteristics and photo on the website (above). I like the look of the ABS handles and the steel is as tough as Petersen's "Government" steel. Hard to tell from the photos, but they may need a slight touch up with fine abrasive and the buffing wheel. Further info shortly.

I have to say that I have my doubts... The website says that it is stainless rather than carbon. Tensile strength tends to mean less than rockwell hardness for the purposes of feedback.

I suspect that the picks will be similar to Sparrows (who have similar dimensions and tensile strength), but we eagerly await your report :drool:
<<

Josephus

Post Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:58 pm

You could just make some or thin commercial ones out. Cheap diamond burs for the roughout work is useful on hardened steel. don't be afraid to modify picks! Eventually everyone starts doing it for one problem lock or another.
Next

Return to Product Reviews