FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Purchasing Lock Picks

<<

twenglish 1

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:37 pm

Purchasing Lock Picks

I was shopping around on thinkpeterson dot com and when viewing my cart i noticed this warning at the bottom:

"Warning: In accordance with 39 USC Section 3002a, this site is solely for the use of Security Professionals. Only the following are permitted to purchase items from this site: BONA FIDE LOCK MANUFACTURERS OR, DISTRIBUTORS, LOCKSMITHS, REPOSSESORS, OR MOTOR VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS OR DEALERS.

By ordering from this site, purchasers swear, attest and represent under penalty of perjury, that they are active authorized professionals in one or more of the above approved professions, and further attest and represent that they are authorized to receive products from this site through the US Mail.

We actively scrutinize purchases made from this site to ensure strict legal compliance with these requirements, and reserve the right to refuse shipment of any order that we do not believe to be lawful or appropriate."

So apperently as a hobbyist i am not allowed to purchase lock picks? Or is this just to cover there ass if someone buys from them and uses them for crimes?
<<

JamesOzment1

I've Been Banned!!
I've Been Banned!!

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Re: Purchasing Lock Picks

The only credentials they will ask for is benjamin franklins. Just leave (company name) field blank.
I have no special license and they mail me picks and are more than happy to take my money. it's just a way to cover they're behind in case you commit a crime ,so they are dissolved of any liability.

Stay safe ,stay legal!
If you commit burglary in texas it's 10-99 year sentence and mandatory added 10 years if you use lock smith tools. And in texas everyone has guns even women ,and criminals,so the home/business you break and enter may be the last thing on earth you ever do.
<<

twenglish 1

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:40 pm

Thats what i thought, thank you for clearing that up
<<

Josephus

Post Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:58 pm

In most jurisdictions being a locksmith just means saying "Yes I am a locksmith." and having worked on or made a lock once as to conform with the legal term. That does not mean that other things can crop up. In some places posession has been used as prima facie evidence. This may shed some light http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Legal_issues
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:25 pm

Twenglish,

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! I was going to ask the same question. I too was scared off by that warning. I can't wait to try out some Gem's now! One more reason I love this forum!
<<

Papa Gleb

Contributor
Contributor

Post Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:36 am

Hello gents,

I too fell for the warning the first time and instead ordered sparrows but when the sparrows city rake broke after maybe 10 gent uses, I said F it and ordered Peterson hoping they would not review my order which they did not. After a few more orders and many conversations over the phone, I realized that those warnings are meant to scare criminals or potential criminals that have illegal intent in their reason to buy.

Now that its clear, how about their bump keys? Has anyone purchased a bump key from them? I would assume for bump keys they may ask for something from the buyer after all to use lockpicks you need skills which develop over time but a bump key can pretty much be used by anyone. Yes I know bumping requires its owe lever of skill and practice but agree its not the same compared to picking.
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Maybe, Permits should be required for Boots, Screwdrivers, Hammers and pry bars? :shock:
<<

LockButcher

Familiar Face

Post Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:14 pm

That's what I was thinking! Couldn't a rock be technically considered an entry tool too!? Ha!
<<

twenglish 1

Post Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:52 am

Yeah that is a good point on bump keys, could be the same deal though with just wanting to deter people with criminal intent from buying them, I ran into a guy selling bump keys at a gunshow recently, $25 a key!!

Return to Lock Picking