FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

U change lock in bypass and vids

<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:53 am

U change lock in bypass and vids

Refreshed my memory regarding the u change lock ..was long before the kwikset smart locks
Where on the market ..again the lock had a vulnerability.
Via Change key hole a tool was inserted and overlifting all of those special pins .. was it's downfall

https://youtu.be/T_ZdAkjShwE
https://youtu.be/wU6ID-oFZlk The final warning ... Really miss bills vids and sense of humour now he's retired.
https://youtu.be/mG9RHjC9rTM

Bill's last vid says he's seen this lock still in use .. hell maybe a locksmith found a easy fix .
Maybe the change key hole was closed off ..will never know .
See Gordons topic where he casts a key for this very lock
"View topic - Copying a Key by Casting viewtopic.php?f=58&t=13626

:geek: :D

Ringo
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:34 pm

Re: U change lock in bypass and vids

Lauren was the locksmith who came up with that bypass, and it can work as fast as a key. Have upgraded a number of the U-Change locks to a better lock when doing calls for an opening for a lost key. Bypass it super fast, don't show them the tool, and let them know that the tools are out there. I could put on a more secure lock that can't be bypassed if you like! :D

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 am

Yeah Gordon ...Found the old post as he was a member of KP...years back For those who are newish to the forum.

Lauren wrote:
I just got done making one of my by-pass tools this morning without taking a lock apart as reference. I used a scribe and a dial caliper to mark 11 lines on some wiper blade material from the edge. #1 @ 1.300 (providing a .290 throat cut). #2 @ 1.010, #3 @.930, #4 @.806, #5 @ .726, #6 @.602, #7 @.522, #8 @.398, #9 @ .318, #10 @ .194, and finally, #11 @ .114. Cuts were made leaving five bits with a height of .080 and with a bit separation of .124. The wiper blade material was filed down to a width of .046. The wiper blade was ground down between bits to .030 and then filed round to create a needle (necessary -if you want the tool to rotate ninety degrees). The tool works perfectly.

Interestingly mbi copy pasted it on topic.. maybe why it's survived.
Seen what looks like a rebranded lock marked KSC... 3 letters only but it's the U change lock
also and as a slightly different shaped keyway Or profile of key that's needed.

Having looked for a blank that would fit ... I Would start with these keys first

Fac Blank . Fac -7D JMA
Bricard blank . Bri -14D JMA
Tri cycle blanks . Tri -18D And Tri -19D JMA

Now the one I like the best is the HD-1D JMA blank for Harley Davidson Or the ilco X94 if in usa ...it's the same .
If the shoulders are removed right up to the head on both sides ..might give you the length and correct profile
My second choice would be the FAC-6D JMA As it's the correct length and only requires a bit of milling if it fits.
Try on a Google search

Would be interesting to see if a key blank as been found for this over the years as the
The KW 1 and Lockwood V7 blanks have been used in past But modified to fit ..strange to have a restricted key on a lock
Built and designed to be changed in 1972 by the buildings manager /caretaker / landlord ...saving money on a lock change

Worth collecting for the novelty and design feature alone .. and rebranded possibly because of bad press .
See This blog'
"The U-Change Lock Cylinder | Jeff Gater's Blog" http://www.gaterslocksmith.com/blog/201 ... -cylinder/

Ringo
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
<<

10ringo10

Prolific Poster

Post Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:52 am

This is some great info .... Love the part about having launched one of the Key pins and then trying to find it
Again after you had searched for it ....alooooooong way away.

Author you may know if clicking on link below....Awesome GW :ugeek: :D

Many pics of lock gutted to get a better understanding of what's going on inside the U Change
"Inside U-Change Cylinders – Locksmith Reference" https://lockreference.com/inside -u-change-cylinders/

So theres 4 depths of cut on key total useing the 4 cut or groves in the special T shaped pin which is under spring tension

The special T pin is inserted in a hollow pin with a extra side hole ..where it's fixed with a interlocking side bar pin to
Alter and change height of pin off a different precut key .... effectively changing the key useing a special telescopic pin design.

All this is possible when the over sized plug or barrel is rotated in to position ..so the change key tool can be inserted
to move the interlocking side bar Pins which are themselves shaped like little T bars. :tpin: :spkeypin:
so the key T pin can move Or disengage to alter depth of cut needed and reason for the internal spring tension :spring:

when changing key 4x4x4x4x4 is 1024 possible combos and where available precut only from factory ..so no blanks :???:

Really think the fault is too much play with that interlocking T pin mechanism that is designed to keep it from moving
when its fixed in a Locked up position

The fix . Possible to remove access to 1 pin and leave it fixed so no bypass tool can contact that T pin. Via mechanism
Leaves you having to find the binding pin as there not all set to change by a overlift .

A basic understanding of how the U change lock works ... I think ! :mrgreen:
Last edited by 10ringo10 on Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:31 pm

Thanks, Ringo. You can read the entire article, without the editing, right here on KP!. Did the post back in 2018,

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.

Return to Lock Picking