FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

Reversed Mul t lock

<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:53 am

Reversed Mul t lock

Had a shot a picking some Mul t locks tonight and realised that one was different to all the other ones I have or have seen. Not sure how common they are. Still haven't been able to get an open as yet. Getting good false sets though. :D
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/photo ... c%2Fstream
<<

xeo

Catministrator
Catministrator

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 am

Re: Reversed Mul t lock

Interesting, I've never seen that before. I wonder if it is some kind of restricted keyway option offered by MTL
The code is hidden in the tumblers. One position opens the lock, another position opens one of these doors...
http://www.youtube.com/xeotech1

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

░░░░░░░░░░░░░Image
<<

jeffmoss26

Sargent Mossberg
Sargent Mossberg

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 am

Very cool! I know they make quite a few different profiles.
femurat: They're called restricted for a reason...
Innerpicked: The more keys you carry, the more important you look
GWiens2001: Great video! Learned a lot about what fun can be had with a forklift and a chainsaw.
pmaxey83: but i first have to submit the proper forms for a new hobby to my wife
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:04 am

There are two choices for ordering an MTL pick... left and right. In some areas they will face one way, in some the other. It may also be an option where one direction is prevalent and the picks for that direction are more common, allowing a reversed keyway that negates the picks for the opposite orientation.

Here is a link to the two types of picks

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:35 am

GWiens2001 wrote:There are two choices for ordering an MTL pick... left and right. In some areas they will face one way, in some the other. It may also be an option where one direction is prevalent and the picks for that direction are more common, allowing a reversed keyway that negates the picks for the opposite orientation.

Gordon

Came here to say pretty much this. It's fairly common. There are 4 orientations for picking. Left-up, left-down, right-up and right-down.
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Solomon wrote:
GWiens2001 wrote:There are two choices for ordering an MTL pick... left and right. In some areas they will face one way, in some the other. It may also be an option where one direction is prevalent and the picks for that direction are more common, allowing a reversed keyway that negates the picks for the opposite orientation.

Gordon

Came here to say pretty much this. It's fairly common. There are 4 orientations for picking. Left-up, left-down, right-up and right-down.

Though for the life of me, can't see the difference between Left-Up/Right-Down and Left-Down/Right-Up. :roll:

Gordon
Just when you think you've learned it all, that is when you find you haven't learned anything yet.
<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:
Solomon wrote:

Gordon

Though for the life of me, can't see the difference between Left-Up/Right-Down and Left-Down/Right-Up. :roll:

Gordon
j

Thanks for the info! I have only been trying to manually pick these with hand picks, those lovely decoders are a bit outside my price range at th moment
Will
<<

mastersmith

Contributor
Contributor

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm

I have Mul-T-Lock at my work. It was explained to me that one side was for restricted keyways, the other side for common keyways. It was a factory rep that told me that, I assumed he knew his business(?). Then the factory set us up with new hardware, and the new keyway was the reverse of the original! I'll have to run down to the Woolworth store and see if I can get a dup!
"All ye who come this art to see / to handle anything must cautious be...." Benjamin Franklin
<<

Status6

Familiar Face

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:45 pm

mastersmith wrote:I have Mul-T-Lock at my work. It was explained to me that one side was for restricted keyways, the other side for common keyways. It was a factory rep that told me that, I assumed he knew his business(?). Then the factory set us up with new hardware, and the new keyway was the reverse of the original! I'll have to run down to the Woolworth store and see if I can get a dup!

The friend that I got the lock from said they were being swapped out from a youth detention centre (would explain the restriction) as they were being upgraded to abloy protec systems
<<

GWiens2001

Lock-Goblin-Gordon
Lock-Goblin-Gordon

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:27 pm

mastersmith wrote:I have Mul-T-Lock at my work. It was explained to me that one side was for restricted keyways, the other side for common keyways. It was a factory rep that told me that, I assumed he knew his business(?). Then the factory set us up with new hardware, and the new keyway was the reverse of the original! I'll have to run down to the Woolworth store and see if I can get a dup!

If Woolworth is out, try Montgomery Wards. :D

Gordon
<<

Solomon

Prolific Poster

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm

GWiens2001 wrote:Though for the life of me, can't see the difference between Left-Up/Right-Down and Left-Down/Right-Up. :roll:

Gordon

Probably not in terms of using the 2 in 1 tools (never used one tbh), but picking manually it's a bit different depending on whether the pins are on top or bottom.
<<

Werewolf

Familiar Face

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:23 am

It could be a master-keyed cylinder.
We used to use a right-hand profile for individual locks , and a left-hand profile for our master key systems.
"Who are you and how did you get in here ?"
"I'm the locksmith , and i'm a locksmith"
<<

rerun12

Contributor
Contributor

Post Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:34 pm

i have a mul t lock padlock with a similar keyway, its a tricky little bastard. as far as picks go, i have both the southord set and the cheapo goso set. the goso set is just fine imo, and about 40usd less than SO. theyre fun locks to pick; when you get it the first time youll be poppin em in minutes thereafter. gl and thanks for sharing
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand.

Return to Lock Picking