FAQ  •  Register  •  Login
UKLockpickers.co.uk Lockpicking supplies such as Lockpicks, tools, and more! COMMANDOLOCK.COM Military grade padlock systems lockpickshop.com A source for lockpicking supplies such as lockpicks, locksmith tools, and more!

How to master key control keys in SFIC

<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:07 pm

How to master key control keys in SFIC

I'm looking for recommendations for further reading with examples about how to master control keys when combinating SFIC. This concept is briefly mentioned in both William Lynk's 'SFIC: Advanced' and Jerome Andrew's 'Fundamentals of Master Keying' books, but not in great depth.

Any recommendations on where to find resources like books, specific articles in Locksmith Ledger or Keynotes, websites, etc. to learn more on the topic would be appreciated. Thanks.

:sfic:
<<

jharveee

Prolific Poster

Post Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:12 am

Re: How to master key control keys in SFIC

<<

8core

Familiar Face

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:06 am

Thanks very much for posting that training manual. It's a really great resource and overview of A2 and A4. What I'm trying to learn more about specifically though is master keying at the control shearline in order to create a hierarchy of control keys.

For example, a national chain store might have many stores across a defined region where each location has a unique control key that pulls/installs cores only at that specific location and no others, but there is a master control key which a district manager holds which operates in all stores in that region.

This would be accomplished by adding master pins to the top pins that determine control key cuts, in the same fashion as standard master keying. Most likely a 2-level system for the control shearline. While the pinning math makes sense, I'd like to read up and see real world examples before implementing it myself. I suppose it is a lesser utilized concept though.
<<

MartinHewitt

Prolific Poster

Post Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:27 pm

That was a good introduction to pinning. My understanding from this pdf is that master control keys can be added the same way as the other keys are added, just with the corrected stack height.
In case you wonder ... Martin Hewitt is a fictional detective in stories by Arthur Morrison:
Martin Hewitt, Investigator Chronicles of Martin Hewitt

Return to Professional Locksmiths